|Job description||Contract: 1-year fixed-term
Location: London or Newcastle
Salary: Over £24,353 in London and over £21,752 in Newcastle
We welcome applications to participate in our year-long Data Science Internship Scheme starting from September 2022. As part of the scheme, you’ll benefit from dedicated training to develop skills using R mixed with the opportunity to put those skills into practice. For example, you will spend your time:
• applying your quantitative and qualitative skills to large messy datasets to derive new insights;
• building and implementing data tools to support our range of assurance work. For example, take a look at the data visualisations presented on our website: https://www.nao.org.uk/data-visualisations/;
• collaborating with our financial auditors to review high value, high risk quantitative models which underpin accounting estimates. For example, the value of the student loans book, the rate of fraud and error in tax credit and benefit payments and the money needed in the future, to compensate people who have experienced clinical negligence.
|Skills required||No previous experience of audit is necessary, and training will be provided in key Data Science skills such as R.
Some previous programming experience is desirable but not essential
We do have some minimum criteria which you will need to meet:
• 120 UCAS points from the 2017 tariff from your top 3 A Level grades (or equivalent) including Maths. General Studies does not count. If you have 104 UCAS points from the 2017 tariff (or equivalent) you may still be eligible to apply – please email HRServiceDesk@nao.org.uk for further details.
• Took an undergraduate degree course with a substantive quantitative component such as data science, operational research, mathematics, statistics, physics, engineering, management science, economics (the data science internship is unlikely to be suitable for people studying accounting finance degree courses), where:
o You are in your second year of a sandwich degree course
o You are in your final year and are expecting a 2.1 degree or better, or
o You have completed your undergraduate degree course and achieved a 2.1 degree or better
• UK Nationals
• Nationals of Commonwealth countries who have the right to work in the UK
• Nationals from the EU, EEA or Switzerland with (or eligible for) status under the European Union Settlement Scheme (EUSS)
If you are interested in one of these vacancies, please submit your CV.
The deadline for applications is Sunday 24 October 2021.
Once your CV has been through initial eligibility screening, we will invite you to complete a technical exercise. This will be followed by a telephone interview and then followed by a final interview. If you are successful, you will start the internship on Monday 5 September 2022