|Job description||Technical Architect
Salary Range: £65,735 - £78,329
Contract Type: Full time, 2 Year Fixed-Term Contract
Reporting to: Head of Audit Technology
The National Audit Office (NAO) is the UK’s main public sector audit body. Independent of government, we have responsibility for auditing the accounts of various public sector bodies, examining the propriety of government spending, assessing risks to financial control and accountability, and reviewing the economy, efficiency and effectiveness of programmes, projects and activities. We report directly to Parliament, through the Committee of Public Accounts of the House of Commons which uses our reports as the basis of its own investigations. We employ some 800 staff, most of whom are qualified accountants, trainees or technicians. They work in one of two main areas, financial audit or value for money (VFM) audit.
The NAO welcomes applications from everyone. We value diversity in all its forms and the difference it makes to our organisation. By removing barriers and creating an inclusive culture where all our people can develop and maximise their full potential. As members of the Business Disability Forum and Two Ticks Disability Scheme we guarantee to interview all disabled applicants who meet the minimum criteria.
The NAO supports flexible working and is happy to discuss this with you at application stage.
The National Audit Office (NAO) has a transformation programme to deliver organisational change through the implementation and adoption of revised methodology, processes, and tools for NAO’s Financial Audit service line. The programme is called the Audit Transformation Programme (ATP).
The principal responsibility of the Technical Architect is to join the ATP team to oversee and contribute to the delivery of the technology aspects of the programme. The Postholder will play a key role in ensuring the successful delivery of an integrated solution involving multiple Off-The-Shelf products alongside development and configuration of existing technology platforms.
The NAO is working closely with a strategic partner to implement a solution developed on Microsoft’s Power Platform, integrated with other strategic platforms (including Salesforce and ServiceNow). They will work with Architects and Agile delivery teams to ensure that solutions, systems, environments, and service transitions are optimised and fit for purpose.
nationals of Commonwealth countries who have the right to work in the UK
nationals from the EU, EEA or Switzerland with (or eligible for) status under the European Union Settlement Scheme (EUSS)
Please note, we are not able to sponsor work visas. Please contact us at email@example.com should you have any questions on your nationality eligibility.
|Responsibilities||The Technical Architect is responsible for:
• Designing innovative end-to-end technical designs, delivering against business strategy and requirements. Converting detailed requirements and user journeys into appropriate technical architectures and designs for the NAO’s prime service line
• Assisting delivery teams to ensure alignment with overall solution and technical architecture
• Supporting the assessment of new product and solution decisions, including risk identification
• Ensuring solution designs align with existing digital plans and relevant industry, technology, and corporate policies (e.g. information security)
• Making sure solutions integrate with other systems and platforms in use as appropriate
• Overseeing the performance, availability, scalability, and agility of the strategic solution for ATP
• Ensuring appropriate documentation (including roadmaps) are in place to support the delivery and implementation of the solution, as well as future projects.
• Supporting creation of architecture and design guidelines, and delivery of projects within those guidelines.
• Working with a variety of external and internal teams, ensuring close collaboration and joined-up working. Developing a close working relationship with relevant contacts at Microsoft and managing issue escalations as appropriate
• Working closely with other NAO Architects (Business, Data & Information, Cloud, Digital and Solution) to further develop the NAO’s Enterprise architecture capability and ensure that the NAO’s ongoing digital transformation remains at the forefront of public sector digital development
• Participating as a subject matter expert for internal working groups as requested
|Skills required||The skill sets listed also include the corresponding skill level (awareness, working, practitioner, expert):
• Communication skills. You can listen to the needs of technical and business stakeholders and interpret them. You are skilled at proactive and reactive communication. (Relevant skill level: practitioner)
• Governance. You understand how governance works and what governance is required. You can take responsibility for the assurance of parts of a service and know what risks need to be managed. (Relevant skill level: working)
• Making and guiding decisions. You can make decisions characterised by managed levels of risk and complexity and recommend decisions as risk and complexity increase. You can resolve technical disputes between peers and indirect stakeholders, taking into account all views and opinions. (Relevant skill level: working)
• Strategy. You can apply strategy, using patterns, standards, policies, roadmaps and vision statements. You can challenge them and provide guidance. (Relevant skill level: working)
• Turning business problems into technical design. You can design systems characterised by medium levels of risk, impact, and business or technical complexity. You can work across multiple services or a single large or complicated service. (Relevant skill level: practitioner)
• Understanding the whole context. You can understand trends and practices outside your team and how these will impact your work. You can see how your work fits into the broader strategy and historical context. You can consider the patterns and interactions on a larger scale. (Relevant skill level: working)
Experience needed for this role
• Architecture. Significant experience providing technical architecture services across the full project and/or programme lifecycle. Experience involving complex, multi-supplier environments, including the design and delivery of integration between different 3rd party vendors alongside internally built applications.
• Delivery. Proven track record working with technical teams on design and implementation of innovative cloud solutions. Good experience of analysis, diagnosing, designing, planning, executing and evaluating cloud solutions to time, cost and quality targets. Aligned with experience of defining, monitoring and measuring benefits realisation. Experience of working on several projects simultaneously while meeting stated quality objectives.
• Technology. Experience as a technical architect in cloud solutions using our strategic platforms, Microsoft (365 and Azure) and Salesforce, is preferred with the ability to pick up new technologies and assess situations quickly.
• Management & communications. Excellent communication skills that are adaptable depending on the audience with the added benefit of creating effective collaboration across teams. Able to be the point of contact for stakeholders with the capability to manage expectations and facilitate across high risk and complexity or under constrained timescales. Proven ability to create or tailor new ways of working and innovation, influence outcomes and gain buy-in for new initiatives.
• Agile. Expertise of working in/with teams using Agile methodologies and frameworks (Scrum, Kanban, Lean). Team player who has facilitated knowledge sharing and collaborative working in multi-disciplinary teams. Experience in engaging with teams using DevOps tooling, preferably Azure DevOps.