|Job description||We certify the accounts of all government departments as well as big commercial entities and a wide range of other public bodies such as charities and companies. In 2019 we certified around 400 accounts representing £1.6 trillion of public expenditure and income. Our clients face significant challenges as they work through the implications of Brexit and drive further innovation and digitalisation to deliver ever-higher demands for public services in new ways within tight resource constraints. Our public sector audit portfolio increasingly includes commercial entities such as the BBC and Network Rail.
Our Audit Principals lead our most complex engagements and manage our smaller engagements to deliver a portfolio of work which leads to the certification of our clients’ accounts. They deliver high quality IT-enabled audit work to international auditing standards. Their insights and the value they add not only benefits our clients but also informs our other work – including our value-for-money studies and investigations.
You must be a UK, Commonwealth, EEA or Swiss national to comply with Civil Service nationality rules and must hold a valid work permit. We are not able to sponsor work visas.
|Responsibilities||• Plan and deliver high quality financial audits and other assurance work to time and budget, making finely balanced, future-proof and technical audit judgements.
• Develop positive external client relationships, achieve impact and recognition for the value of our financial audit work and insights.
• Motivate their audit teams and work collaboratively with colleagues across the NAO.
• Identify opportunities to increase our strategic insight and drive quality, including delivering investigative audit and other work.
• Be a positive force for change, both in how we deliver audits and in the wider NAO.
While London based, all roles carry a mobility obligation, and given the locations of our clients, Audit Managers will be expected to travel away from home which can involve some overnight stays.
This is a crucial role in the delivery and continued improvement of our financial audit work. It requires proactive, flexible, and resourceful individuals who are willing to add value to the work of their team.
|Skills required||• Experience of delivering high quality financial audit work and excellent technical audit judgements gained in a highly professional external audit environment
• Excellent people and team leadership skills to motivate, develop and maximise performance
• Strong collaboration skills and engages well with a diverse range of people in an inclusive way to deliver a team effort
• Can communicate complex points clearly and concisely in writing and orally
• A commitment to their own professional development and support the development of others
• An ability to understand and deliver what matters to our clients and external stakeholders
|Educational requirements||• CCAB qualified (ICAEW-ACA, ACCA, CIPFA, ICAS and Chartered Accountants Ireland)|