|Job description||INTERVIEWS EXPECTED TO TAKE PLACE W/C 3RD FEBRUARY 2020
This role is a 6 month fixed term contract.
The senior communications manager is responsible for planning and executing impactful and integrated external communications on behalf of the National Audit Office. You will help explain the NAO’s purpose and impact, and in particular develop new ways to share our unique insight and knowledge with our Civil Service and Parliamentary stakeholders.
You will be responsible for aspects of our work such as advising and supporting NAO colleagues on effective engagement with stakeholders, owning and producing content for channels such as newsletters and blogs, delivering corporate communications activity, exploring behaviour change techniques to help the NAO achieve influence, and evaluating and implementing improvements to our communications approaches.
The role sits within the strategic communications function within our external relations team, and reports to the head of external communications. It is a hands-on communications delivery role that requires a strategic approach, attention to detail and tenacity to ensure that communications plans and activities achieve maximum impact.
The NAO scrutinises public spending for Parliament to help the government in its drive to improve public services, nationally and locally. Our knowledge and recommendations help local and national government make better use of public money to improve people’s lives. This position will allow you to play an important role in that process, communicating our work to key stakeholders including government, Parliamentarians, the media and the public, helping to drive positive change.
|Responsibilities||• Manage NAO corporate communications projects, such as the launch of our new organisational strategy, and develop campaigns around strategic themes such as the environment and demographic change.
• Support the NAO’s Strategic Review project to improve our Knowledge Management, in particular, leading on ways to improve how we share our knowledge with external stakeholders
• Work with NAO client-facing teams to promote NAO work, such as good practice guides, strategically planning communications using an effective channel mix to achieve influence and behaviour change with target stakeholders.
• Counsel our client-facing teams on how to improve engagement with their stakeholders, for example, through facilitating stakeholder engagement planning and advising them how to proactively share NAO insight and increase value for clients.
• Own the NAO’s external newsletters and blog, ensuring their effectiveness at reaching and engaging with target audiences
• Oversee the programme of speaking events to ensure our study teams and senior leaders are disseminating our knowledge and spreading our key messages with target audiences
• Manage delivery of our client feedback research programme, through effective management of the market research agency commissioned to undertake the work and reporting to senior leadership on results and recommendations.
• Exceptional communication skills, both written and verbal. Writes clearly in plain, simple language, effectively distilling complex information into clear messages.
• Uses insight effectively to ensure strategies and plans identify the most effective tools, techniques and channels to engage and influence target stakeholders.
• Develops engaging, targeted content and messages suitable for use across a range of channels. Ensures appropriate content, messaging, tone and consistency in all communication.
• Strong project management skills, ensuring communications projects are delivered to time and budget and achieve their objectives. Monitor and evaluate performance against objectives, sharing learning to inform future improvement.
• Has a good understanding of digital communications and how to write for social media and engage with audiences online
• Proactive and ambitious to deliver high performance and achieve successful business outcomes through self and others.
• Fast and responsive to meet demands, can manage multiple demands and be agile. Can think on their feet in demanding situations.
• Confidently engage with colleagues at all levels, providing robust, credible and deliverable communication advice, and generating commitment to goals.
• Interest in and understanding of the political landscape and how government and the public sector works
• Familiarity with the Government Communication Service's communications guidance
• Experience working with creative design teams to make videos and multimedia content