|Responsibilities||Reporting to: Senior Project Manager, Digital Audit
The Azure Developer within Digital Services (DS) will play an integral role within the development process for the migration of existing On-Premise integration services, as well as several cloud application solutions planned within the NAO’s Digital Plan. The NAO Digital Plan 2020 – 2022 identifies cloud-based applications which, through revised methodologies, will modernise our audit practices. This will involve the creation of new integrated applications developed through POCs, prototypes and various agile development iterations. This will include investigating candidate technologies, supporting the determination of the best technology options for revised audit methodologies and evaluating cloud pathways for innovation and automation.
In this role an Azure and Microsoft Office 365 background with good cloud and integration knowledge is vital. Experience with the Power Platform (including Power Apps and Power Automate) would be beneficial. Key candidate projects for cloud applications include; new audit management and control systems for our audit practices, external portals and extranets for client and stakeholder communications, cloud-based information assurance systems.
Other key responsibilities include:
• Development of integration components for off-the-shelf and bespoke digital solutions
• Development of high-quality cloud applications, meeting customer requirements whilst ensuring the best usability of the end solution
• Where appropriate; plan and lead development on sets of related stories, having an understanding of the whole system, taking responsibility for teaching to others
• Find ways to improve system robustness, resilience, stability and integration
• Knowledge share with team members, mentoring and coaching junior colleagues
• Develop, configure or customise software solutions to meet the user needs, producing clean, efficient, secure and well-tested architectural solutions
• Look for opportunities to collaborate and reuse components, communicating with both technical and non-technical stakeholders
• Ensure that solution designs align with the goals of the organisation, following the digital roadmap and principles within the NAO Digital Plan
• Support the development of PoCs, configuration of tools and development of applications
• Agile requirements definition. Collaborate with the Business Analysts and technical leads to support the translation of requirements, user stories and updated methodologies in to working application solutions.
• Work with cloud application architect and other specialists to implement solution designs.
• Where appropriate, ensure standardised approaches are used, including error handling and audit tracking
• Ensuring the application of end-to-end designs, standards, processes and tools in various cloud application solutions
• Ensure documentation of design and development work
• Develop and execute test plans to ensure tasks are working as expected
• Internal relationships with technical colleagues and business users. Direct contact at user level to ensure that technology systems and services are developed to meet user and wider business needs.
• Professional networks to share experience and best practice, including peers in similar organisations.
Cloud integration development 50%
As part of the NAO Digital Plan 2020-2022, we aim to migrate our existing On-Premise integration tasks to the Cloud, utilising technology such as Azure Logic Apps. The Postholder would play a key role in designing and delivering replacement cloud-based integration workflows. The NAO digital delivery team is relatively small leading to all individuals needing to take on multiple roles within teams. To ensure the successful delivery of new solutions the postholder will have to work effectively within a team, often performing many roles, including:
Working with solution, data and information architects to ensure an optimal solution is developed for the NAO;
Working with the information security team to ensure that solutions are secure and comply with the NAO’s information security principles;
Documenting all aspects of the solution design, specifically producing documents relating to; integration processes, testing procedures and bug resolution relating to each workflow developed;
Where necessary, support the presentation of new workflows to corporate and technical design authorities;
Cloud application development 50%
Working with Digital Services, Practice & Quality and Information Security teams to prototype and deliver fit for purpose, integrated, secure cloud applications for the NAO. Possible projects include:
A proof of concept for the Financial Audit (FA) practice to manage and control all aspects of the NAO’s financial audits in line with revised methodologies;
An eventual integrated solution for the FA practice in 2021, enabling revised methodologies and utilising new cloud, automation and analytics platforms;
A solution for the Value for Money (VFM) audit practice to manage the process and documentation associated with each VFM study;
Various Information Assurance applications identified as part of the NAO Digital Plan 2020 – 22.
|Skills required||Personal skills:
• Strong analytical and problem-solving skills with an attention to detail;
• Self-starter, with energy and enthusiasm for driving continuous improvement and organisational learning from project experiences;
• Good team player who can facilitate knowledge sharing and collaborative working in multi-disciplinary teams with professional audit and Digital Services people;
• Confident communicator providing direct, credible and authoritative interaction with technical and non-technical colleagues at many levels of the organisation (written, verbal and visual);
Business & technical skills:
• Analysis – strong development skills, ability to swiftly interpret digital designs into workable solutions. Evidence of strong analytical, creative, problem-solving and critical thinking skills;
• Strong understanding of technical concepts, specifically in the areas of; cloud, infrastructure, compute power, storage, networking and secure cloud computing;
• Proven track record in cloud application delivery;
• Excellent verbal and written technical communication skills with customers and key stakeholders as well as technical staff, including presentations;
• Strong awareness of digital standards, methods, principles, tools and applications with a proven ability in developing solutions;
• Use of planning, resource allocation and activity tracking tools such as Azure DevOps;
• Strong technical acumen – overall a strong working knowledge of current IT and systems technologies and standards
Level of experience:
• Experience of application development
• Experience of developing in Microsoft Azure and Microsoft Office 365 services (Azure Logic Apps, Azure Functions, PowerApps and PowerAutomate)
• Experience of Powershell scripting in an Office 365 context
• Significant experience of analytical, creative, problem-solving and critical thinking skills
• Experience of being a detail-oriented participant working within an application delivery team
• Demonstrated understanding of application development fundamentals and various concepts for agile implementations and transitioning workloads to cloud
• Experience in developing new services across both on-premises and cloud environments
• Experience in implementing strong security principles in a government and/or security driven environment
• Experience of IT automation, data analytics and refactored cloud solutions
You must be a UK, Commonwealth, EEA or Swiss national to comply with Civil Service nationality rules and must hold a valid work permit. We are not able to sponsor work visas.